Monday, December 23, 2013

it's christmastime in the city

There's no denying that it's pretty pretty. And even with the heating fiasco dominating all last week, I've been having a pretty fantastic time.

Seeing trees. 
Visiting Macy's Santaland. 
Looking at windows. 
Wandering the Christmas markets. 
Playing at FAO Schwarz. 
Watching movies. 

Oh the movies. So. Many. 

Miracle on 34th (new and old). 
How the Grinch Stole Christmas. 
Home Alone 2 (New York, people). 
Polar Express (bleh).
The Santa Clause. 

There may have been more thrown in there. It was Christmas overload. And then there is, you know, the musical selection. 

Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Thanks for that, Frank Sinatra. 
Baby, please come home. Oh my heart, Darlene. 
I'll be home for Christmas. just kill me now, josh groban. 
Bells will be ringing. For me and Bon jovi. 
Blue Christmas. Classic Elvis. 

Seriously, we should probably be concerned by how many classic Christmas tunes are about depressed people missing everyone.

Hey, at leat I'm in good company. 

But even with all that, I just can't believe it's actually Christmas. 

And maybe it's the sixty degree weather talking here (seriously--it's mindblowingly warm.) it just...doesn't feel like Christmas. 

Sadness. 

Maybe it's because I can't believe I've already been here four months. 
Or maybe it's because I'm still unemployed and my brain doesn't register time anymore as a coping mechanism. 
Or maybe it's because Christmas really is all about family and those warm fuzzies. 

But that may be the grinch talking. 

Seriously. I almost bawled at that part. 

And I know, I know I could have gone home. And I still don't know if I shoulda or if this is good for me. Still, it has made me grateful for family and so aware of the love in my life even so far away. 

And I swear I have been happy. This has been one of the best Christmases of my life. I am so grateful for friends and distractions and this big beautiful city so eager to drum up the festivities. It's been unforgettable so far and I think it will only get better. So, from me to all y'all, merry Christmas! 


Spontaneous Christmas caroling...to ourselves. 
The tree lighting with these beautiful gals! 
And then there's always this. Further proving that Nutella solves everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment