Saturday, February 15, 2014

exposition.

as you all (should) know by now, i got a job. and it's basically the greatest news of my life. and i still can't believe it. seriously. i'll just be walking around doing my thing thinking about some stuff...and then it suddenly hits me. just a quick thought: "you're employed!" and then i bust up giggling and grinning, still starry-eyed and excited about it. i got a job!!!

three reasons why this is amazing. 

one. it's been almost six months since i packed up and moved out here. on august 17, 2013, i bought my one-way ticket to new york. and on august 31, 2013, i landed in new york (well, jersey. but we won't count that). i knew it would be hard seeing as i had no plans, knew absolutely no one, and had nothing set up. but my cousin, mitch, helped me out with his "Find Your First Real Job" program (seriously. it changed everything) and i got to crackin' down on that job hunt.

turns out, six months is a long time to be unemployed. i can't even tell you how many jobs i applied to, how many resumes i sent in. i can tell you i was rejected post-interview ten times. which might not seem like a lot, maybe, but it hurts...putting yourself out there and being told you're just not good enough (don't even get me started on that one). i mean, this job itself required three interviews and i was so tired and worried and nervous and anxious, along with all other similar words that, as i was recounting all this to a friend, i collapsed to the ground and began bemoaning my entire existence.

it was not a pretty moment.

but, six months later, and i'm employed! not only that, but it's a job i'm excited about and already in love with. which brings us to point two.

two. throughout this--shall we say, journey, people wondered (with good reason) why i didn't just give in and get a filler job, something to bring in the money, keep me a little more sane than unemployment was allowing. but, turns out, i am stubborn. because i knew what i wanted and i am of the opinion that life is too short to settle. so, sure, my options were very limited. and, so, yeah, i went a little crazy, got a little restless, spent a lot of time in a slight panic. but...it all worked out. i got my dream job. and how many people get to say that?

so what is it? i'll start next week working as an assistant to a couple of agents at the Levine Greenberg Literary Agency. i may be biased now, but it's basically the greatest place on earth. it's an adorable office in midtown just about twenty minutes from my house (thank you!) and they represent a variety of titles/authors, as you can see. i'll be working primarily with an agent representing high commercial/womens fiction ("book club" stuff) and i'll be in an office with some of the nicest, jubilant, coolest people i've ever met.

i mean, you know you hit the motherload when EVERYONE in the office calls or emails to congratulate and welcome you, AND you get invited to a company potluck before the ink even hits the paper.

can someone say #winning

and the final reason?

three. i have a job. in new york. like...i'm actually stuck here, living here. people have been calling this my "nyc adventure," as if it will soon end, nothing more than a blip on my lost years as a young adult still merely playing at life. well, to them i now offer a respectable "suck it" because, ahem, i have a job. in new york !!!

it makes me feel all grownup. like i've put down roots, staked my claim, started my life. and it's all going down here, in the city that never sleeps, where my life motto of "MORE MONEY MORE DONUTS" can actually play out. and that's amazing to me.

so. to recap? i have a job. a dream job. in my dream city.

life is looking pretty good. so can we just look back at this year horoscope that is freakishly spot on for me? i mean, i don't believe in horoscopes, and i know a lot of them are so general anyone can relate. but this (and this isn't even the detailed part!)--it blew my mind and just...i want to relish in it for a moment.
You've certainly learned the art of releasing control in 2013. You've been letting go of so many things -- from material possessions to antiquated concepts around values and security. Whereas 2013 may have felt cloudy and confusing around your life's purpose, 2014 brings you one opportunity after the next to truly live out your dream and actually make money doing it.
ah, sweet, sweet vindication.

1 comment:

  1. Shelby, this is awesome! I'm so happy for you! Congrats on living the dream! :)

    ReplyDelete